Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent Me Your Ear

And I'll sing you a song.

About what you should give up for Lent.

Yeah.

I don't think there's anything wrong with humbling oneself by abstaining from some luxury or vice for 40 days. In fact, I recommend it. Even though it is not required of my religion, I find that it is a good way to focus on my Savior in the weeks leading up to Easter. Plus, let's face it, I'm not so good with working on goals, but 40 days seems doable, so it's a perfect excuse to practice something I've been meaning to get around to.

And so, I am sharing with you my fabulous idea for this year:

What if we all give something up together? Cause we all get by with a little help from our friends.

What if we all give up negative body talk for 40 days?

What if we stop saying, "Oh, I really shouldn't", every time someone offers us a cookie, and just enjoy the dang cookie?

What if we quit thinking about how we look, and notice - with all our energy - the beauty around us?

What's in it for me? Joy. Relief. Peace. Actual living.

What's in it for you? Joy. Relief. Peace. Actual living.

And not pissing me off with all your incessant, banal talk of calories and fat and weight and body complaints and comparisons.

For 40 sweet, sweet days.

Ahhhhhh.

Lent's do it!

(I hereby trademark that as the slogan for Lent)

2 comments:

Mardee Rae said...

I love EVERYTHING about this- from the Beatles references to the actual message to the line about not pissing you off... so great. I'm in, when do we start? Lents do it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in!

MM