Monday, May 12, 2008

So...should we do it?

Well, I am running a little behind schedule lately, making me wonder if it's still okay to write about another anniversary. Luckily I don't care if it's okay. You see, Sunday, May 10th, 1998 was the day Ty proposed to me...kind of. Let me explain:
Saturday I drove the 10 miles to Sandy to visit Ty before he went to work (he was selling security systems for the summer in order to be close to me). Wait, I need to rewind a little further:
Last thing you probably remember Ty had just professed his love to me. Well, we continued to use those three words freely, but knew that we would need to make a plan for summer, as I lived in S. Jordan, UT and he in Pocatello, ID. We were stressing - at least I was - because Ty refused to consider the idea of a long-distance relationship, but I didn't feel ready to discuss Marriage, and really, what other option did we have? Relief came in the form of Ty getting a job in Sandy, UT for the summer! It was heaven-sent goodness and I was SOOO excited to have our quandary solved. Little did I know the extent of Ty's sacrifice, as he was giving up a sure-fire, high-paying job he enjoyed, to be a salesman (a trade which he has utter and thorough hatred for) and be near me. I was under the impression that we would have a fun-filled summer of dating, followed by a few more years of college, still dating, followed by...I didn't think that far. I just wanted to have fun, and I knew Ty could "bring it" (yeah, I hate that saying, too). Fast forward to the afore-mentioned Saturday:
As we sat outside, enjoying a relaxing moment in the porch swing, Ty explained that he was moving back to Pocatello in two days, and we needed to figure some things out. He basically gave me an ultimatum of #1 get married, or #2 break up. It sent me spinning. All day I thought and read and prayed, trying to get myself worked into a lather, or at least worried. I tried to make a decision, but I was far too calm and had no question to decide upon. My only concern was how to go about telling Ty what I had decided, cause what girl wants to be the one to bring that up on her own? So the next day when Ty came over we spent the entire day together and with my family, and I kept trying to get him to bring it up. I even had my niece call him "Uncle Ty", but no one got it. Finally when he was ready to leave and we were sitting on the curb in the dark he said - now brace yourself for the romance - , "So, should we do it?" That was it. It may not be the type of proposal I had always imagined, but it was perfect right then, and he DID propose formally the next weekend after he bought me a ring. But that's another story...

p.s. the picture attached is completely unrelated (and even more completely ugly - why must one always face with eye directly pointed due: sun in outdoor pictures?), but I spent today celebrating my sister's birthday with two of my sisters and my mom. Happy Birthday Shar! I love you. Thanks for being the friend I never had. ;)

5 comments:

Priceless Heritage said...

Good day- May 10th is great day in our family too (lots of b-day's). The pressure must have been really bad that day. Good thing he made up for it :)

Sharlee said...

Love the story Boo! It sounds almost as romantic as my proposal! So fun to hear your stories.
Thanks, again, for your thoughtfulness on my Birthday. It really did make my day! You are a great sister and friend too!

Christy said...

HAHA! LOve it! Sounds a lot like my husband and our five, yes five engagments...love to hear your stories!

Amber said...

Because I missed this part in your life, I love to hear the stories. Sometime I will have to tell you about my non-proposal as well. I wouldn't even lump it into the proposal category except for the fact that 3 months later we were married, so I guess it counts.

Andrea said...

I think there should be a national "Blog about your love story" day! I'm all for hearing all ya'lls' stories. Just a thought...and maybe an inspiration for your next post? Anybody?