Friday, August 15, 2008

A Title Eludes My Clutches

First of all, thank you for the book recommendations! I am so excited to have direction, instead of wandering around the library like a fool. I read three books this week, which is why I have been neglecting everything else: laundry, cleaning, cooking, my children, and most importantly (wink) my blog. First, I read a compilation of Robert Louis Stevenson's short stories (always a good choice), then a book called, Every Last Cuckoo, which was disappointing, and which I quit reading, but then finished because I had nothing else to read. I actually came away from it with a few tidbits of thought, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste. Next I read, A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I have been wanting to read for a year, but which is always checked out. It was good, although for any who just want a nice, happy, sappy love story, this may not be for you! It was a bit heavy, and my kids kept asking me why I was crying yesterday (because ALL I did yesterday was read, well, besides cry). I came away from it with wider-eyed gratitude for the culture and country I live in, and all that that means. I just started another book today, but am determined to somehow not become obsessed over reading it cover to cover in one fell swoop (hmmm...never thought about this expression before, but it must have something to do with logging, eh? So, it's fitting for reference to reading a book, since pages are made of wood...do you see what I have to put up with in this brain of mine? So many tangents, so little time). I don't know exactly how to accomplish this (the not becoming obsessed part), but I DID mop my floors, do several loads of laundry, register Saylor for gymnastics, go to the bank, the pharmacy, the library, the store, ate lunch (if you know me, you know this is truly saying something), nagged my kids to clean their room, and started dinner, so I am hoping these are steps in the right direction (although I must admit that all I could think about is diving back into the pages of that book, and I had to stop myself on more than one occasion from thumbing through its pages and reading "just one more paragraph"). Holy moly it takes me a long time to get to the point! Maybe because I don't usually know what it is until I've written half a novel or so. Anyway, I didn't intend for this to become a book review. I just wanted to post a few photos from this week. That's all. So:

Here's Sylas giving his hog a tune-up - this is actually a couple weeks old, as you will notice by the plugged-up state of his mouth. Awww...sweet pacifier freedom.

Here's Samera on the slide at the local swimmin' hole


And Saylor & Sylas in the water...Saylor would go under and come up. It never ceases to delight Sylas

And here are some other random shots of what they do the most of at the pool...eat


and eat. I swear, I should save myself the $20 and just put some towels on the lawn and give them peanut butter m&ms, swedish fish, cheetos, and crackers-n-cheese (all traditional staples of a day at the pool)!

4 comments:

Sharlee said...

Thank you for posting. I have been long awaiting this day. Your posts always give me something to smile about, which some days is a rarity. (This is one of those days). You are hilarious and I could read your ramblings forever. To me they are much more exciting than any book. Loved the pictures too. You are quite the mom--M&M's? Sweedish Fish? Cheetos?!! What the...! You give all of us other moms a bad name.

Amber said...

I love that it takes you forever to get to the point. More blog for me to read! All of the other girls in my book club have read A Thousand Splendid Suns and LOVE it, but I am still on the waiting list at the library (and I'm too cheap to buy it!). Yeah for reading. I like how a book will gobble me up and transport me away from my hectic life.

Oh and cute pics of the kids. I know what you mean about the eating thing. We bought season passed to Roaring Springs water park a few years ago, but you can't bring your own food in. So the passes were cheap, but the mass amount of money I spent on feeding us while there was ridiculous! I started perfecting the art of sneaking food in (they search your bag when you walk into the park!). For the record, they never check an emptied out wipes container for items like poptarts, sour patch kids, etc. (I too try to keep it healthy!).

Jason said...

SO HAPPY TO SEE A POST FROM YOU!!!! Good job for finding some fun books to read. Sounds like it is keeping you plenty busy! Your snacks sound very similar to all the things that Bjorn loves (and me too). Cheetos are his favorite, but he calles them "keetos". Hope you do some more fun things so we can enjoy more of your blogging!

Priceless Heritage said...

Wow- impressed! I need to get to reading too. I just don't want to start in fear of not being able to stop. Love the tune up pic of Sy with his binky in.