Monday, September 26, 2011

The Cake


You wouldn't know from its looks, but this just might be the most expensive birthday cake I have ever made:

One trip to Idaho Falls to the only store around that carries Hulk and Wolverine action figures;

Plus four action figures, because of course Hulk and Wolverine don't ever appear in the same package together (I'm sure it's part of some grand conspiracy, but I don't have time to figure out which one);

Plus a hot pretzel, lunch, and pie, because spending the day in Idaho Falls makes a girl and her boy hungry.

All for this very plain (ugly) creation.

And it crossed my mind a few times that for the price, I could have had one bakery-made that was actually cute. But I am hoping that someday when Sylas is 16, and he's feeling rebellious and misunderstood and generally picked-on, he will remember this cake. And with the remembering, everything will just "click", and he will suddenly realize who he is, where he is going, and all other mysteries of the teenage Universe.

And you just can't put a price on that.

(plus he was really excited about his cake last night, so if my high hopes don't pan-out, whatever)





3 comments:

Sharlee said...

I think it looks great. What is spread on top of that cake?
I was just thinking on my walk this morning about how if teenagers would remember all the things their mamas and papas did for them when they were littler they may feel more loved and was thinking about getting the old photos out and journals. I'm not sure I have secured "memories" in my boys' minds. If you don't talk about events and look at pictures every so often, you might not remember. So... good job taking a picture to make it last longer.

Sawdust Girl said...

The birthday boy loved it and that's all that matters.

Also, I need to pull out my pictures because I know we have a good character building cake experience in our past and we're about to need it!

Kimi Lou said...

How is it that our kids ever grow up without knowing how much they are loved and how much we sacrifice for them; their comfort, their benefit, their happiness? HOW?! And how did I not understand all that our parents did to make my life sweet and good either?
(I have resorted to pointing out my "charitable acts" in their behalf, or saying, "Because I love you..." Help or hinderance? Stilman will be 16 in just two short years so...guess we'll find out.