Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Needy


















I just went through my photo library, and it was shockingly empty for 2012. I must have lost my will to take pictures.

I think it's because my kids are growing up. They are no longer at that stage where I feel inclined to keep my camera on the kitchen counter at all times, to capture their funny foibles and messes at a moment's notice.

They are getting photo-boring. Now days, when I happen to dust off the ol' camera, they pose. And I don't like posed pictures.

Also, they aren't chubby any more. Not a-one of them! Who wants to take pictures of non-chubby un-babies? Not me.

Or maybe it's because school isn't out yet. I hate it when school isn't out yet. My weeks seem so schedule-y and monotonous this time of year. And busy. The veneer of novelty has worn so thin on school and homework, that it has left my soul exposed to the elements. There is now a hole where my will to capture the moment used to be.

Luckily, there is an easy procedure to fix this deformation:

Summer.

I don't want to negate Spring's loveliness, for it is my one true love (after Summer and Fall, of course), but Spring is so inconstant! I need something I can depend on.

I need swim suit-wearing, and long days at the pool. I need thick book-reading and swearing I'll never take my children to the local "lake"again (only to return the following week). I need sunburns and grilled burgers. Bike rides and sweaty, almost-passing-out after sitting in the sun for too long. I need homemade ice cream.

I need no schedule.

Am I the only one who gets really impatient this time of year? I mean, there's only a month and a half left of school. Can't we just call it good enough?

3 comments:

Sharlee said...

I wish I shared you sentiments. I am dreading summer when there is no consistency, when there's swim suit wearing and sweating, and kids lounging about the house waiting to be entertained or put to work (either one gives me a headache.) I dunno. Spring Break was really hard and if that's what summer is going to be like then... I'll have to come spend the summer at your house.

The United Statements of Merica said...

You are speaking my language girl. Fresh Prince had it right.

Anonymous said...

Well, no. I LOVE schedules. I have often thought that if I didn't work I would need a calendar to make sure that i kept busy or I would just sleep and eat all day. I do share your sentiment about BBQ's. We had our first BBQ last weekend and it was so nice to have a Friday Night BBQ with Friends and not have to go out.
MR