Monday, December 14, 2009

I Prefer a Box


Tonight I took the kids to get ice cream. It was one of those spontaneous gestures of good will. One of those far-too-infrequent attempts to make the most of a bad situation. An effort to take the pieces of my shattered Monday evening plans and fit them together to make a beautiful, albeit different than expected, masterpiece. I was thinking outside the proverbial box.

It always works in the movies. And on other people's blogs.

I forgot that spontaneity is not my gig. I have to have a plan. Then I have to visualize success with that plan. And I especially have to prep my children before exiting the van, by telling them all the flavors of ice cream available, in order to prevent unnecessary, sanity-crippling tantrums and frustration-inducing indecision. Stopping at a never-before-seen gas station restaurant doesn't fit into my carefully constructed box.

I think we would have all been better off if I had just deposited my children on the couch, turned on Sponge Bob, and stomped upstairs to pout (pouting is better than yelling, right?) until bedtime. Just me and my box.

Just like I had planned.

You see, my life is not like the movies. Or like other people's blogs.

Sorry.



p.s. Who wants to be my #20 follower? 19 is such a lonely number.

p.p.s. The first person to become my #20 fan, I mean follower, can count it as their Christmas gift to me! It'll save you $ in the long run. Just think about it.

10 comments:

Sharlee said...

I miss the sunshine--that picture of your girls makes me long for the day.
Do not worry little sis, your thoughts and efforts are being counted somewhere in heaven and they will add up to something...someday. That's exactly how I feel about FHE every week. It seems like it would almost be better if I just didn't do anything.

Christy said...

Great post, Andrea. You are such a great writer, I love reading your thoughts. They always make me laugh!

Amber said...

Don't do this. Don't shatter my belief that ice cream fixes everything. Because it does. No matter what you say. And if you try to make me believe otherwise, I will sit in a corner with fingers in ears, rocking silently back and forth. Ice cream makes everything better.

ps. Sorry your Monday sucked.

Christy said...

p.s. I am sorry that I didn't tell you sorry that your Monday was bad. Sorry. Hope Tuesday was better! :)

Mardee Rae said...

Oh, Andrea, I think you are wrong--if they made a movie of your life (narrated by your blog), at least 19 of us would be there for the midnight premiere. Sorry I've been a bad fan, I mean follower, lately. You understand, right?
And you were right on about Layla's name--it is the only way my husband and I could agree to use Grandma's name. (while still using April as the middle name, which was already decided).

Emily said...

Andrea, we will pray for your family after our FHE next week in which my 3 daughters will quietly listen to a thoughtful lesson prepared by their dad, while I hold our baby boy who is sleeping in my lap, and we'll have the treats I prepared that morning when I had nothing better to do because my laundry was all caught up. Also, the children will all be in bed by 7:30 (including the one month old) and my husband and I will have time to sit and plan a lesson for next week, but it's hard to choose a subject when your family is so nearly perfect. At least we can always do a family service project together.


(Not.)


& hugs to you!

Stephanie said...

Merry Christmas!

Michelle said...

Someone is your 20ith! Would it be cheeting if I un-fanned you just to re-fan you so that I could be #20?

I am sorry your ice cream trip didn't go as planned. My three year old nephew pulled the fire alarm at an ice cream outing once . . .

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

DANG IT! I was gonna be 20.. knowing that if I gave you the perfect (yes perfect) Christmas present, you'd feel inclined to get me one in return! But alas, I missed the boat because I've been so stinkin busy!!!!!! But I love you! I am your fan..... #20 in my heart!
oh and, maybe the ice cream adventure didn't turn out just so, but experience is experience, and ya never know who needed that ice cream (be it one of your children, the person who sold it to you, or the guy you passed who thought you smiled at him, and he realled needed that self esteem boost)!

Parley and Anna said...

I like to read Elder Bednar's talk from conference. It always makes me feel better about our failed attempts at FHE or scripture study (if you can call it "study") or family prayer. I figure if an apostle's FHEs weren't perfect, then it's okay if mine aren't either!
Merry Christmas and better luck next time!