Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Boating Accidents


Last night there were people with big signs yelling at the top of their lungs on the side of the road, trying to persuade drivers to go and vote. In the dark. So they were virtually invisible. Which scared the tar out of me.

And my kids.

Sylas asked what they were doing, and a conversation ensued.

I told him about voting.

He asked about boats.

I backed up, and emphasized the "VVvvvvvv" in "voting".

Then I went into a very in-depth explanation about why we vote, and was feeling encouraged by his seemingly understanding nods from the back seat.

I gave my closing remarks, and was issuing myself a little mental congratulatory Mom of The Week Award, when he hit me with this one,

"So, do they take their fishing poles?"

Sometimes I wonder whether anything I have told my children to-date has been translated correctly.

Reminds me of the "Sex Talk" I had with Saylor a couple years ago.

I wish I could remember it verbatim, but her summary question was a lot like Sylas' was about voting.

It is starting to give me a complex.

Am I really that bad at explaining things, and if I am, are my children doomed to hopeless confusion?

Probably.

4 comments:

Sharlee said...

Ha ha! At least he's trying to listen and understand. My kids just stare blankly at me when I try to explain things to them... no follow up questions--nothin'. What does THAT mean?

Jason said...

That is so funny! I love it! One time whe I was explaining something to my kids, Bjorn interrupted me with, "whoa, whoa, whoa. Too many words. Way too many words."
It caught me so off gaurd! I burst out laughing!
My dad loved it so much, he adopted the phrase and uses it all the time! :)
Kids are so honest.
It's hilarious!
AMY

Sticks and Stones Home Decor said...

so funny

Michelle said...

It would be more fun if we took our fishing poles to the polls.