Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hindsight is an Awesome Parent

Sometimes our old stand-by of sitting and holding hands
just isn't working, and we have to get creative. Some of
us think I'm clever. Some of us don't.
I haven't been on the computer much lately.

It's been glorious.

And then tonight I finished my book (thanks to the discovery that I can cook, eat, and give myself a pedicure while reading) (not all at the same time), the kids were in bed, the man was at meetings, and I was looking for a way to kill some time.

Pinterest. Oh, sweet Pinterest, how I've missed thee.

...where I happened upon a pin about parenting, which reminded me of a little problem we were having with one of the children a while back.

And I thought,

Huh. I haven't thought about that in a long time.

How weird that something that seems so huge - something I prayed about and fretted over and felt so desperately unable to work through - is so easily forgotten.

Why didn't anyone tell me that all the seemingly endless toddler phases would, in fact, end? That things have a way of working themselves out?

Why didn't anyone tell me to relax; to laugh things off and know that someday soon I wouldn't even remember the problem that right then seemed so all-encompassing and important...and urgent?

I mean, I'm sure someone told me. In fact, I know they did.

But why didn't they also tell me they were serious? And correct?

Man, I was dumb.

Oh, to know then what I know now.

Or to use what I know now right now.

The latter would be best.

But seems just as likely as the former.

And, because I am feeling annoyed with how judgey I can be, I will skip the rant about parenting advice, tips, and articles. For now.

But you gotta know it's coming. Eventually.


0 comments: