Monday, April 9, 2018

From Bad to Worse

The other night we wanted to watch a show together as a family.

Which usually means a cooking show.

Which reminds me: we watched a show about America's obsession with cooking shows. The host's opinion was that the reason we love watching other people cook is because we, as a society, have moved away from cooking, but it is still such a fundamental part of our lives that we crave the comfort and familiarity and love we associate with cooking.

Meh.

I think it's just because cooking shows are the only shows we can watch with our little kids without being bombarded with profanity and nudity.

At least that's why WE watch them.

Anyway, I got a show going and then stepped into the kitchen to finish cleaning up dinner (which I cooked, thank you very much TV personality!).

Five minutes later, I went in to join the family, and they had switched over to a science show.

I asked Ty why, and he told me that the cooking show had used the "F word" four times in the first few minutes! Well I never...!

Anyway, we watched a science experiment show instead.

It wasn't the greatest, but Sylas was enthralled.

The guy on the show had all sorts of ways to make things catch fire or explode, which just happen to be Sylas' favorite things in the world right now. Besides shooting guns.

I grew increasingly uneasy.

But it was his,

"Dad, if I put suchandsuch and soandso together, would it explode like that?"

that made Ty and I glance at each other and bust into nervous giggles.

It was then I exclaimed,

"Turn it back to the cooking show!

Let's teach this boy the F word!!"

0 comments: